I was never a really patient girl.. So you can ask yourself why the hell did I take up sewing..
Frankly, because I was bored 🙂 I had just moved about an hour and a half away from any of my relatives and friends (that’s what you get for finding the love of your life the other side of the country) and I didn’t know what to do. I’m not sporty, so joining a gym didn’t seem a good idea. I love my family-in-law but I didn’t want to see them everyday and I love reading, but even that gets boring.
I had 8 weeks of summer break coming up, since I’m a teacher and didn’t have a permanent school yet… So I just had to wait until schools re-opened before I could find/look for a new job. I was never really good at staying home, when I was a student I used to work for 2 months during summer just to have something to do…
So I decided to take up sewing. I love it but…
- I’ve got zero patience, so everything needs to be finished before I’ve even started it.
- I’m addicted to fabric, so I buy loads and then I don’t know what to do with it.
- I want to make every pattern I see, which resulted in an entire drawer of untouched patterns.
- I’m lazy and I hate copying patterns on pattern paper, but I don’t want to cut up my pattern either. So if something was too big or too small, I just left it that way.
- I hate it when my house is a mess, but I hate to clean up after myself as well, so my sewing gear was all over the place, all the time.
I’m getting better at everything…
- The patience is not a problem anymore as long as the pattern has a decent explanation… If not, I go crazy and chuck the lot.
- I’m still addicted to fabric and I’m afraid that’s not going to change. I have an immense (antique) trunk and it’s filled up already, but I just keep stuffing fabric in there.
- I’ve stopped buying patterns I don’t like 100% or the ones that come without decent explanation… So the drawer is still full, but it isn’t expanding into other drawers.
- I’m still not fond of copying patterns so I just might put them on the copy machine and cut them out like that… Seems easier anyway!
- I decided that I didn’t need a desk to work (yes, I do but a place to sew was more important), so now I have a neat little sewing corner and I can leave my mess there and just put a folding screen in front of it 🙂 Mess is still there but not visible to visitors 🙂 Love the compromise.