I have to apologise for the Friends rip-off blog titles. But I’m lacking inspiration at the moment. I also promise that this will be the last blog post for the day 🙂
I have been working on the Alma Blouse pattern these last few days after being inspired by everyone who made this pattern (seriously, is there anyone out there who hasn’t made it yet 😉 )
I traced the pattern onto some new pattern paper I’m trying out. I copied the smaller pieces so I could cut them out on the right size instead of tracing them (I hate tracing patterns). I had a tiny accident as I cut out my pattern pieces so I had to tape my original pattern back together.
A light floral cotton I had in my stash.
Size and alterations:
According to the pattern I needed a size 12 bust, size 10 waist and size 8 hips. This seemed very odd as usually I have to go up a size for my hips. But I did what I was told as this was just going to be a wearable muslin.
As I expected the garment was to big around the bust and waist area and I had to take off 1,5 cm (5/8 inch) for it to fit me better.
Level and special skills:
This is hands down one of the easiest patterns I ever put together. The only ‘hard’ thing was putting in the blind zip and as far as zippers go, that one is easy peasy! So I would say a beginner could definitely make this, given you have some practice rounds with the zipper. I only had to unpick the zipper once and that was just because I had to take in the side seams. So technically, I didn’t need unpicking at all.
Time to complete:
I don’t actually know as I did this in small bits in about three days, but an estimated guess would be 3-4 hours.
Will I make it again:
Yesssssss, given I would alter a few things (see pictures above)
- I would lenghten it a bit and go up a size in the hip area.
- I seems quite puffy above the bust so I guess I will have to go down the same amount as I did for the bust and waist (2 sizes). Hopefully that will fix the puffiness when I lift my arms.
- I love the neckline but it’s quite high, so I’ll try lowering it a bit in my next one.
The only thing I don’t like about this pattern is the super flimsy tissue paper the pattern is printed on. I just don’t like working with it. I have to iron it and then it’s get static and it sticks to everything. I did notice that by cutting out the pattern (breathe, breathe, I mean around the entire pattern piece) it’s easier to trace as the smaller piece are less clingy to everything surrounding it. And it’s easier because I don’t have to unfold and refold that huge piece of paper each time. Just a tip.
This is definitely a wearable muslin. I will make another wearable muslin with the alterations I want to try out and I guess I have the perfect pink poplin in my stash for that. I have the perfect fabric for this pattern but I’m saving it until I get the perfect fit.
Note: Don’t mind the pants I’m wearing, these are part of the reason I want to try making my own because these make my behind look huge!
And last but not least: Some close-ups of the lovely details on this blouse
- Can you see my perfect blind zipper! No! because it’s invisible 🙂
- Love the bow!
- Love the neckline and the topstitching idea. You can find the tutorial here.