SWAP Project 2: The ´7 muslins´cover-up

My quest continues. I´m still looking for the perfect tunic pattern to wear over all my black leggings.

I thought my search had ended when I saw Lekala 5772

I bought the pattern, taped it together and made a muslin. I initially wanted to swap the front ties for a front button placket so I could wear the entire thing closed over a pair of leggings. In the end it took 7 muslins to get to a point where I liked the thing on me and apart from the arm scye, there is really nothing left of the original pattern.

Screenshot 2016-04-30 at 20.51.02Screenshot 2016-04-30 at 20.51.28Screenshot 2016-04-30 at 20.51.55

In short:

  • Didn´t like the gathered neckline so I folded them up into a pleat
  • Didn´t like the pleat, turned it into a dart
  • Weird place for a dart, rotated the dart to the waist. Split it into 3 darts.
  • Didn´t like the 3 darts, swapped it for one pleat.
  • Decided the pleat looked off so swapped it out for a dart again, but making the dart wider, shorter and curvier. Added a button placket,
  • Didn´t like the round neckline with the button placket so changed it into a curvy V-shape.
  • Added an all in one cut on button band/facing, lowered the V and lengthened the centre front.

After that I was finally happy and decided to make a last ´wearable´ muslin in a stiffer cotton to see if everything added up and which way I wanted to finish everything.

Screenshot 2016-04-30 at 20.52.15

I took the time to drape and pin this bodice on me until I was happy with the fit, each time transfering changes to my pattern pieces, I had never done this before and it made me feel so peaceful to just be able to use my body and adapt whatever I was making without worrying about the sizing. I´m my own fit model and I let go of trying to fit into industry standards. Very freeing!

 

I used a light blue cotton shirting from my stash with a white floral print. The fabric was quite crisp so I decided not to interface the facing/placket. I finished the sleeves, bottom hem and back neckline with store bought bias tape in a slightly darker blue. And I added a pearl snap to keep it closed.

The stiffer fabric showed me that the angle on my button placket wasn´t right yet and that my facing was too wide and got caught up in the sleeves.

Screenshot 2016-04-30 at 20.52.30

Initially I had wanted to turn this into a tunic or a dress but I wasn´t sure about it yet, so decided to keep it as a top and thought it would make a lovely cover-up for something sleeveless.

It turns out to be a perfect cover-up for my favourite night gown. My night gown is a navy blue silk jersey with navy blue lace on top. It has narrow straps and a low neckline. I bought it right before I gave birth and I feel lovely wearing it. The straps pull down easily to nurse and it´s really comfortable. It is however, not modest at all and while I don´t mind my husband seeing the goods, sometimes it gets a bit cold running around half naked and my in-laws tend to show up for unannounced visits in the evenings.

(If you are wondering why I often take pictures at night, this is what happens when my toddler is up 🙂 Sunday mornings are the best, obviously!)

I used to just cover up in a sweater but now I can wear this blue top and feel great. It´s not too warm, covers just enough and unbuttons easily for nursing. It´ll be perfect for Spring and Summer!

Mission accomplished!

IMGP2441

My little princess!

 

 

Advertisements