Glitter deer combo

 

imgp2936

This little lady turned 3 last week (#cuemommytears, #stopgrowingup) and my aunt bought her this cosy sweatshirt knit. Little did she know that my stash contained matching fabric (#stashisuseful). An idea was born and my sewjo was kicked back to life. (#halleluja)

Patterns:

  • Dress/tunic: Blå Blomma dress (Ottobre 1/2016) size 104
  • Leggings: Storm legging (Ottobre 1/2016) size 110

Fabric and notions:

Review:

What I like about working with Ottobre is the fact that their patterns are well-drafted, true to size and super fun. They always include little details which makes them extra special.

Dress/tunic: She still fits a 98 but I made a size 104 anyway so it’s still a little roomy but not by much. I’ve never tried high contrast ribbing because I prefer matched colours for my own clothes but the kid can pull it off and I really love how it turned out. I especially like the pockets, the yellow topstitching and the slight balloon shape due to the elastic hem.

Leggings: I decided to go up to a size 110 in the leggings because the fabric had less stretch than a regular cotton jersey and because I hope she’ll be able to wear it again next winter. The leggings have a 5cm hem at this point because they were way too long, but this way I can let it out if she happens to grow another inch or two. The samples in the magazines showed these leggings in 3 shades of coordinating blues but I decided to keep it simple by using the raw edge of the fabric as the contrast and just using one colour through out. They are cosy, soft and warm and she loves wearing them.

 

I usually don’t blog the things I sew for my kids but this is my life now and I’m really glad my sewjo is back even though I don’t feel like sewing for myself at this point. Maybe when the warmer weather rolls around 🙂 Until then, keep sewing!

 

xoxo

Advertisements

Mini Post Partum Capsule Wardrobe

With my pregnancy nearing the end (maybe by the time you read this, I will have had the baby), I decided to make a small post partum capsule wardrobe. Because I don´t fit into them yet, I´ve used my mannequin as a stand in.

The clothes I was going to make had to be:

  • warm
  • comfortable
  • adapted to weight fluctuations
  • nursing friendly

Solution: STRETCH!

Continue reading

The One where I made Pants

(Please excuse me for the horrible phone pics but my fancy camera battery died just as I wanted to take pictures)

So, I made pants…

jeans

Actual pants made out of jeans! But I cheated! Let me tell you how 🙂

Pattern:

I had been eyeing this pattern for a while. But it felt like cheating to order it. Finally I caved and ordered it. It’s the Simple Skinny Jeans by Sew Liberated.

Fabric:

I used a very thin stretch denim I bought for 14 euro at the market. The pattern called for 2 metres but I ended up using only one metre. So I could make 2 pair of jeans out of the fabric.

Size and alterations:

Based on my measurements I cut a size 14 and decided to change the elastic waistband by a stretch waistband. But it ended up being to big… My fault completely because I cut the size based on my measurements BEFORE I went on a diet. Stupid me, as I’ve lost 5 kilos since taking those measurements. So I took my measurements again and made the pants a size smaller and now they fit. But stubborn as I am, I’ve added the stretch waistband again and on the one hand it’s crazy comfortable but on the other hand it tend to stretch with wear. So the waistband becomes wider…

Level and special skills:

No special skills needed 🙂

Time to complete:

3 hours. Seriously, it takes longer to wash, dry and iron a pair of pants than to make these.

Will I make it again:

I bought red, green and brown stretch jeans… so what do you think.

Overall conclusion:

The pattern comes with a link and password to a video tutorial. The fact that you have to buy the pattern before you can watch the tutorial kind of bothers me. Sometimes you just like to check stuff out before buying the pattern.

When I watched the video, I got completely confused as they try to use the topstitching as regular seams. In short this mean that they press every seam so you don’t have to sew it and you can just topstitch over it. I can tell you, that just makes it way too complicated. It’s much easier to sew your seams, press them and then topstitch. Way sturdier as well.

The pattern came without a measurement chart, they apparently forgot, but they do have the measurement chart on the site. Not a finished measurements chart though and that would have been helpful.

The pattern comes with a clear explanation and because the front pockets and the fly are fake there’s really nothing difficult about it.

The thing that actually takes most time is changing between your regular thread and needle and your topstitch thread and twin needle.

kleur

These are the colours I bought to make new pants. As you can see in the pictures the pants still have a few wrinkles, but I think that has to do with my stubbornness and the fact that I refused to make elastic waistbands. Might have to do it next time though 🙂