The one with the Engagement

I’m very happy announce the upcoming wedding between me and the Renfrew Pattern. (I just wish my BF would propose so I had a real wedding announcement)

result

Pattern:

RenfrewΒ by Sewaholic

Fabric:

A sturdy grass green knit I had in my stash. I only had 1.4m and the pattern needed 2m but after (re-)arranging my pattern pieces 6 times I finally managed to find a lay-out that would allow me to cut all the pieces out of 1.4m of fabric. Yay for me!

Size and alterations:

I followed Lizzie‘s advice and picked my size based on the finished measurements. The size I should have picked had a bit to much ease, so I opted for a size 10. I didn’t alter anything apart from that. The size turned out to be perfect.

Level and special skills:

This is my favorite kind of pattern. No zippers, no buttons, no pleats, no darts, not even hemming! No special skills are needed and even if knit fabric scared me a bit before (I’m following the Sewing with Knits class on Craftsy), Harriet went through that knit like a knife through butter!

I only made one little mistake. I sewed my waistband on backwards. Oops, thank goodness it was serged on so I just cut the serged seam off and serged it again (right way around this time)

foutje

Time to complete:

About 2 hours (not including the time it took to trace the patterns) I think it will go faster next time as I’ll know what to do and I won’t sew my waistband on backwards again.

Will I make it again:

Well, that’s a stupid question if I’m planning to marry it! I love absolutely everything about this pattern! From the clear explanation to the cut, to the style, Β to the arm- and waistband that keep it from needing a hem! (I hate doing hems in knits)

What do you think of the appliquΓ© I added. Something to break down the solid a bit.

detail

Overall conclusion:

There is one thing I do have to say about this pattern. I freaking hate that tissue paper. Imagine this. I needed to iron it because there were to0 many creases. Afterwards it was so statically charged that it even stuck to my heating. When I finally managed to peel it off and put it on my table it shocked me so hard the charge went into my iPod and my iPod shocked me IN MY EAR! That HURT. A LOT. I still hurts when I think of it!

static

Advertisements

The one with the Alma Muslin.

I have to apologise for the Friends rip-off blog titles. But I’m lacking inspiration at the moment. I also promise that this will be the last blog post for the day πŸ™‚

I have been working on the Alma Blouse pattern these last few days after being inspired by everyone who made this pattern (seriously, is there anyone out there who hasn’t made it yet πŸ˜‰ )

Pattern:

Alma Blouse by Sewaholic

I traced the pattern onto some new pattern paper I’m trying out. I copied the smaller pieces so I could cut them out on the right size instead of tracing them (I hate tracing patterns). Β I had a tiny accident as I cut out my pattern pieces so I had to tape my original pattern back together.

Fabric:

A light floral cotton I had in my stash.

Size and alterations:

According to the pattern I needed a size 12 bust, size 10 waist and size 8 hips. This seemed very odd as usually I have to go up a size for my hips. But I did what I was told as this was just going to be a wearable muslin.

As I expected the garment was to big around the bust and waist area and I had to take off 1,5 cm (5/8 inch) for it to fit me better.

construction

Level and special skills:

This is hands down one of the easiest patterns I ever put together. The only ‘hard’ thing was putting in the blind zip and as far as zippers go, that one is easy peasy! So I would say a beginner could definitely make this, given you have some practice rounds with the zipper. I only had to unpick the zipper once and that was just because I had to take in the side seams. So technically, I didn’t need unpicking at all.

Time to complete:

I don’t actually know as I did this in small bits in about three days, but an estimated guess would be 3-4 hours.

result

Will I make it again:

Yesssssss, given I would alter a few things (see pictures above)

  • I would lenghten it a bit and go up a size in the hip area.
  • I seems quite puffy above the bust so I guess I will have to go down the same amount as I did for the bust and waist (2 sizes). Hopefully that will fix the puffiness when I lift my arms.
  • I love the neckline but it’s quite high, so I’ll try lowering it a bit in my next one.

The only thing I don’t like about this pattern is the super flimsy tissue paper the pattern is printed on. I just don’t like working with it. I have to iron it and then it’s get static and it sticks to everything. I did notice that by cutting out the pattern (breathe, breathe, I mean around the entire pattern piece) it’s easier to trace as the smaller piece are less clingy to everything surrounding it. And it’s easier because I don’t have to unfold and refold that huge piece of paper each time. Just a tip.

Overall conclusion:

This is definitely a wearable muslin. I will make another wearable muslin with the alterations I want to try out and I guess I have the perfect pink poplin in my stash for that. I have the perfect fabric for this pattern but I’m saving it until I get the perfect fit.

Note: Don’t mind the pants I’m wearing, these are part of the reason I want to try making my own because these make my behind look huge!

And last but not least: Some close-ups of the lovely details on this blouse

  • Can you see my perfect blind zipper! No! because it’s invisible πŸ™‚
  • Love the bow!
  • Love the neckline and the topstitching idea. You can find the tutorial here.

details